Thursday 9 January 2014

My favourite Running Apps

Up until the summer of 2012 I had absolutely NO interest in running at all at all. Then I ended up coming home from London earlier than expected a I had to study for repeat exams (Learn from my mistakes, and pass first time round!!). In the first two years of college the lbs had started to creep up on me too.
So there I was at home studying basically non stop, and my mother suggested I join up with the running group which had a beginners class starting that week. Then I got the bug a little bit, running three times a week was clearing my head after the study and the running and considerate eating helped with the college tum too.

When I went back to college I did consider joining a running club there too, but with a college schedule that changed basically every week as well as placements in different places, I decided against it as I wouldn't be able to definitely say I was going to be available every week. In the end I downloaded some apps and tried them out and ran when I was able and that way kept my sanity a little bit.

The app I've been using the longest is the app RunKeeper . This is a brilliant free app that helps you keep an eye on aspects of your running such as distance, the time you've been running, your pace. It also provides training regimens if you want to run 5K,  lose weight or speed your running up. It also allows you to post your runs on facebook and twitter and connect with your friends to compare your runs. I like this app as you can see the progression you are making easily and the report you get after your run about the breakdown of the run is always interesting.










The second app I discovered and love is the app Zombies, Run!. I discovered this after seeing reviews on tumblr and I thought I'd give it a go.  You are Runner 5. Hundreds of lives are counting on you. You've got to help your base rebuild from the ruins of civilization by collecting critical supplies while avoiding roving zombie hordes. Can you save them and learn the truth about the zombie apocalypse? 

If you enjoy things like The Walking Dead you'll really enjoy this app. You have the option of turning on zombie chases or not. I recommend you keep it on, the sound of zombies behind you really spurs you on. As you run you collect objects, which can be used to improve your base, which you can see on the open menu, but if you do get caught by the zombies you lose the supplies. This app also monitors pace and timing and with both apps your own running playlists are used. I love using this app as the chases help improve your overall pace in general and you do feel extra special having outrun the zombies and helping the township. The missions are 30/60 but if you choose to run for 40
minutes for example, radio mode kicks in. Two citizens from the township
have set up a radio station and you can listen in to them chattering away.
Zombies chases and collection of items still happen too

If as part of your New Years Resolution have decided to get more fit or either or these apps appeal to you, I thoroughly recommend you downloading these apps. They help my desire to run and keep me spurred on to keep doing what I am doing.I wont  be running any marathons anytime soon but anything that makes me enjoy my runs more is good in my book

These are only two of countless running apps. Have you any favourite running apps??

No comments:

Post a Comment