Wednesday 28 May 2014

Lit Nit Wit: The Twins

A book about Twins and World War 2??? you'd think I'd be in heaven. This book was laying on my book shelf for I kid you not 7 years! oh that makes me feel old!! When I had finished the other Twins book I decided it was time to finally retrieve the book from its time in limbo and see if the wait was worth it.

In a peat bog spa (great for the arthritis it transpires) two long term separated twins are reunited after a life time apart. They were separated after their parents died. One was brought up in Germany and the other in Holland. It was also during their separation the turmoil of the second world war. Both twins suffered through the war and came out the other sides with loss and resentment.

Lotte the Dutch twin could let the fact that her twin Anna was german even though Anna never supported the fascist party. The question 'Why didn't the people do anything' was answered with 'Why didn't other countries help?' which resonates with all common wars and uprisings to this day. To get Lotte on side Anna told her all the hardships faced by the common Germans throughout the war and what help lead to the war in the first place. I have not seen that side in a book and I thought it was very interesting.

The story was more interesting at the start and I felt it dwindled towards the end. I don't know why but I felt Lotte was too unforgiving for something that Anna had no control over.

Overall I am quite glad I finally got round to reading the book. I wouldn't put it on any must read lists but it does give a unique view on an already well written war

No comments:

Post a Comment