Thursday 6 March 2014

Lit Nit Wit 2; Half of a Yellow Sun

Hello there it has been a while I apologise! Seeing as I decide to return to the aul blogging on World Book Day and I happened to finish The book today I took  it as a sign!
The book in question is Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Adichie. If that name rings a bell, it might be because she is sampled on Beyonces Album in the song 'Flawless'. I first read her other book 'Purple Hibiscus' for my Leaving Cert (back in the day) which I did not like at all at all (I found the main character annoying really and the fact I had to read it over and over to find quotes didn't help)  but my friend recommended this and I spotted it at a book swap so I thought I'd give it a chance.

The Book is based in 1960's Nigeria and follows the lives of three characters before during and immediately after the Nigerian civil war. Ugwa is a servant boy who starts to work for Odenigbo, Olanna who is Odenigbos lover and Richard an englishman in thrall to Olannas enigmatic twin sister Kainene.

I really enjoyed this book. I love reading about wars but I don't have a great knowledge on the Nigerian Civil War (something I plan on changing) so it was a nice change from European stories. It was interesting to see how the war changed the characters and the relationships between the characters. The book is divided into four sections The early 60's The Late 60's The early 60's (again) and The late 60's (again) and when I first realised this I did question it but then there's THE TWIST and then I understood and loved it.

Ms Adichie describes the aspects of the war really well especially the horrific parts (turns out the Nigerian Civil war was fairly dark) she doesn't gloss over them but she doesn't take it too far either. I feel sometimes her language is a bit peculiar like I feel she used the word urination a bit too much, but that's just me nit picking. Overall a great book I'd recommend  

No comments:

Post a Comment